The Princeton Heights Neighborhood Organization began at the home of Thomas and Carol Hinrichs in the early 1970s with Alderman James Komorek in attendance. The first president was George Yehlen, second was Vera Erichson, third was Edward Gaertner, fourth was Dorothy Temming, fifth was Joseph Goedeker, sixth was Kenneth Williams and our current President is Bev Bremer.
PRINCETON HEIGHTS NAME
Many residents here, like me, wondered “Why the heck did they call it Princeton Heights?” No princes or universities here, although the ground is high as we discovered during the ‘Flood of 93’.
The name “Princeton” came from the old deeds from the neighborhood named Princeton Place Subdivision or Addition, and Princeton Place Addition obtained its name from the Princeton Creamery on Kingshighway Boulevard just north of Gravois.
It’s (the neighborhood’s) outer edge on the west is rather closely paralleled by the River des Peres drainage works, whose valley creates a general downward slope to the west over much of the area. In earlier years Princeton Heights was drained by small creeks, one being Glaise Creek, which flowed into the River des Peres near the present location of Loughborough Avenue, south into the River des Peres ditch. Elsewhere the topography is quite rolling in character, with a high ridge crossing through the eastern portion of Kingshighway. Maybe that’s where the “Heights” comes from. Now we have “Princeton”, just add the “Heights” from the high ground and we have created the name, The Princeton Heights Neighborhood.
(CLICK HEADLINES BELOW TO EXPAND TOPIC)
Loyalty Day Parade (1958 – 1991)
The Loyalty Day parade was annual celebration of American patriotism. It started at Kingshighway and Christy, then followed Christy to Gravois, and ended at Gravois and Kingshighway. The parade was held on May 1st from 1958 to 1991 led by organizer Lou Melchior.
The Gardenville School was the hub of the community of Gravois and South Kingshighway.
Hampton Bridge over River Des Peres
“1935 SAFETY FIRST BE CAREFUL” This message is set on the limestone blocks on the river’s east bank about a half mile south of Chippewa. The message was left by workers of the WPA (Works Project Administration). In the thirties, a work barn was at Gravois and Hampton. The workers would gather at the barn to obtain tools such as picks, shovels, and wheelbarrows to do their job by hand. The barn was torn down when the project came to end. Gravois Bridge over River Des Peres.
Gravois and Kingshighway was a shopping district in the ’40s and ’50s with just about every type of shop found on Kinghshighway Boulevard and Gravois Avenue in the Princeton Heights Neighborhood before the malls became popular.
Auther Hazzwell’s Bicycle Shop
At 6642 Gravois was Arthur Hazzwell’s Bicycle Shop. That shop became South Side Cycle Company and later moved down the avenue. The roots of South Side Cyclery were planted around about 1932-33 when young Velmo “Chap” Chappius and a friend opened a small bicycle shop on Grand and Meramec. Meramec Cycle Shop flourished as a solid member of the South St. Louis Business Community. In 1962, another growth spurt took place when Chap and Gen bought A.H. Harwell Co., and added wholesale capabilities to their retail business which then became South Side Cyclery. As the economy changed in the 1970s, a great bicycle boom allowed them to move to a new, larger location, at 6925 Gravois, and then 6969 Gravois.
At 6432 Gravois was the Swatz Wald. Swatz Wald in German means Black Forest. It changed its name following WWII to become the Black Forest Garden Restaurant. The restaurant played om-pa-pa German music at night that could be heard all over the neighborhood.
Bill’s Auto Service
Bill’s Auto Service was owned by Bill Higsbee. In past years, this site has operated as Edward Trost Filling Station, Russell’s Auto Service, and Auto Brake Service and is now Advanced Auto Service.
L. Ziegenhein Funeral Home
A landmark John L. Ziegenhein Funeral Home is at 7027 Gravois and Robert. The photo below was taken in the early 1960s.
John L. Ziegenhein Funeral Home
The original Schnuck’s Market, the home of the Pink Stamps, at 7241 Gravois burnt to the ground in 1973, to be replaced by another Schnuck’s Store at 7450 Hampton at Gravois & the same location.
Richard Henry’s Tavern
Now known as Quincy Street Bistro, it was once known as Richard Henry’s Tavern. The tavern was located at 6931 Gravois at Quincy, later to become Jimmie’s Saloon. The word “saloon” was not allowed in the State of Missouri and and Jimmie’s was known as a Tavern until the 1980s. Jimmies was one of the first to use the word Saloon. This building was also operated under the names; Vernon Havoner Liqours, John Leeze’s Restaurant, and Richard Henry’s Tavern..
GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
American Exchange National Bank
Across the street from the Gardenville School on the boulevard of Kingshighway was the American Exchange National Bank at 6639 South Kinghshighway, The building was three stories high with doctor’s and dentists’ offices. American National Bank operated the building until the 1970s and closed. Boatman’s bank replaced American National Bank, but was also replaced by Bank of America. The new bank of America Building took the whole 6600 west side of Kingshighway for the bank and parking lot. Notice the buildings to the right in the photo below. That was the location of the Princeton Creamery, Lee’s Grill and three other small store fronts up to Schollmeyer on Kingshighway.
At 6631 South Kingshighway was the Princeton Creamery. The Creamery was owned by Mr. Shimmer. The dairy sold milk in glass jars. The photos below were taken near the intersection of Gravois and Kingshighway.
At 6625 South Kingshighway was Lee’s Grill. There also was a Lee’s Grill at 7325 Gravois, apparently owned by the same entity.
Joe Arnold’s Hardware was located at 6809 Gravois. Here, you used to be able to find all the bolts, screws and nuts you wanted to find. The photo below shows Arnold’s Hardware and Rexall Drugs in the 1980s. To the right of the image is the back of the old American National Bank, which is now Bank of America.
F X Spen and Sons Mouments
F X Spen and Sons Monuments is at 6845 Gravois at Loughborough and the building still is standing today. The adjacent residence was the home of Francis X Spen and his family. The building later became Huebshen’s Market, Frederick’s Food, Bettendorf Markets, and Alhmabra Grotto Hall. It is vacant in 2016.
Thomas Schuetz Tavern (6658 Gravois)
The photos below were likely taken around 1909.
Shutz Tavern Exterior Schutz Tavern Interior
The Kingsland Theater was at 6457 Gravois at Alma from 1924 till 1996. The Theater had its beginning as an open air bring your own chair outdoor theater. It had 790 seats. Movies showed from 1924-1951. In 1964, it ran as Lester’s Old Fashioned Gospal Singing Theatre. Movies once again showed from 1984-1997. In 1997, the building was demolished to make way for an Aldi supermarket
White House Filling Station
The White House Filling Station was located at 252 Gravois (at Milentz). A historian for the Shell Oil Company maintained that the Shell subsidiary, Automobile Gasoline Co., offered drive-through refueling services in 1905 in Saint Louis, Missouri. Looks like Saint Louis had electric, but the pumps look like they had hand pumps gravity fill ups to 5 gallons of gas, no electric gasoline pumps.
White House Filling
Rite-way Sandwich Shop
At 6421 Gravois at Kings Drive was the Rite-Way Sandwich Shop. It later became the Kings-Way Sandwich Shop and is now Catering Your Way
M. Mueller’s Saloon & Waiting Room
At 5856 Christy (at Gravois) was M. Mueller’s Saloon and Waiting room. It is now Christy Banquet Center.
Mollenhoff Realty Company
The image below shows the Mollenhoff Realty Company in 2007. It stands at 6418 Gravois, and is now Nonna’s Ravioli. In the 1940s it was Albert Slevik’s Barber Shop.
Clara Hempelmann Realty Company
Clara Hempelmann Realty Company was at 6819 Gravois with a hall. She made history in the City of Saint Louis as the first women elected to the Saint Louis Board of Aldermen for the Twelfth Ward in April 1943 as a Republican.
At 6852 Gravois was Silverwood Restaurant. Then it became Four Roses Tavern with a beer garden with music. Arthur Treacher’s Fish and Chip for a short time occupied 6852 Gravois.
At 6903 Gravois there was the most famous bakery in South St. Louis, Klund’s Bakery, famous for their bread and carry-out dinners for the holidays.
At 6907 Gravois was Harvey’s Market, later to become Elmer’s Market and then John’s Market.
B and B Ice Cream
At 6912 Gravois was B and B Ice Cream, later to become a Velvet Freeze Ice Cream.
Millie Niggermann’s Delicatessen
At 6949 Gravois was Millie Niggermann’s Delicatessen. Millie was a long time resident of Princeton heights. Later Gravois Glass was at 6949 Gravois and then moved to Gravois and Tyrolean. and then later it was the European Atmos Clock and Watch Shop.
Ottinger Realty Company
At 6955 Gravois at Blow was Ottinger Realty Company. Edward E. Ottinger was Princeton Height’s Missouri State Representative District 60, 70 and 101 from 1966 to 1990.
At 7001-15 was Gravois Marble & Granite Works.
R. A. Guinner Plumbing and Heating Company
At 7242-44 Gravois was R. A. Guinner Plumbing and Heating Company. The inset photo in black and white below shows another sign which was in place in the 1940s. This sign fell in a storm and caused a dent in the red business sign which is still visible today. The sign to the top right is a business number that reads HU-1606. The HU is for Hudson. The phone companies stopped using these letters in the 1960s.
Vick’s Aquariums was located at 7248 Gravois. The photo below was taken of Gravois looking north from Austria Street in the 1940s. The car has a sign on the trunk “Vick’s Aquariums FL3399”. Vick’s was owned by Martin Vick Jr. Notice that there is no McDonalds or apartment building to the left as there is today.
Revolving Vess Bottle
The bottle was located at Hampton and Gravois. A 25 ft tall replica of the original Vess family-size soda bottle placed at this location in 1953. The bottle revolved on a steel pole working off of a electric motor. In 1953, it was believed to be the largest, revolving, lighted bottle in the world. At night it was lit by more than 600 lineal feet of neon tubing. The Vess Bottle was later moved to 520 O’Fallon in 1989. See the City Buses at the bottom of the photo.
Lee’s Grill, owned by Leo Morse, was at 7325 Gravois. The photo below was taken by Salvator Cilufo. In the backgound is what is now Wilmore Park.The land for Wilmore Park was donated by Cyrus Crane Willmore. The location is now a Walgreens Drug Store. Note the stop signs and the dirt access road to the River Des Peres.
Red Bird Bowling Lanes
The site of Lee’s Grill at 7325 became Red Bird Lanes before it became Walgreens Drug. It was owned by baseball’s own Saint Louis’s Stan the Man, Stan Musial. Red Bird Lanes occupying the corner from 1958 to 1996. The bowling alley was famous for never closing its doors. The lanes was replaced with the Walgreen’s Drugs.
Frank Cilufo’s Restaurant and Tavern.
At 7322-24 Gravois was Frank Cilufo’s Restaurant and Tavern. In the photo below, notice the stop sign on Germania. The second floor of the building was living quarters and home of Frank Cilufo’s family. The building was owned by Anheuser Busch and Frank Cilufo owned and operated the restaurant. Cilufo’s Restaurant later became the Germaina Inn Tavern in the late fifties and early sixties and later burnt to the ground.
Hendricks Ornamental Iron Works (6613 Gravois)
Alma Phillip 66 Service Station (5447 Gravois)
Jim Remley’s Market (6441 Gravois)
Seliga Shoes (6221 Gravois)
Henry Weldmueller Funeral Home (6201 Gravois)
Paradise Sweet Shoppe (6829 Gravois)
Fennessey Diekmann’s Bar (6830 Gravois)
Ruby’s Shade Shoppe (6833 Gravois)
Henry Queathem’s Drugs (6901 Gravois)
Raymond Brouk’s Drugs (6909 Gravois)
John Schoenhlz Dry Good (6911 Gravois)
Baker’s Five and Ten (6917 Gravois)
Frank Moskus in Exile Bar and Tavern (6920 Gravois)
Kroger Grocery and Tea Company (6923-27 Gravois)
Peoples 905 Liqour Store (6969 Gravois at Blow)
Golden Horn Restaurant (6983 Gravois)
Walter Eirich Florest (7021 Gravois)
Edward Filer’s Feed Store (7057 Gravois)
H Salt Fish and Chips (7224 Gravois) – later became Mark’s Restaurant.
Rene Ottenad Baker and later Quaker Maid Bakery (7240 Gravois)
Joe’s Barber Shop, Later to become Jimmie’s Barber Shop (7534 Gravois)
United Postal Savings and Loan Association (7526 Gravois)
Mirko Bolanovich’s Market and Grocery (7264 Gravois)
John H Schroeder Public School (7306 Gravois)
Samual Marinovich’s Restaurant (7326-28 Gravois)
Maeze Horse Riding Stables (4715 Gravois)
Gravois Avenue originated as a natural diagonal trail from old St. Louis central downtown southwestward to the Gravois Creek in what is now Fenton as early as 1804. It began as a road to a salt spring and ferry, near present day Fenton. It was named Gravois Road until 1881. It is the most heavily traveled street in all of south St. Louis. Gravois derives its name from the French word for rubble or gravel, or, Menus décombres de démolition (anc de gravats).The English translation means rubble that is worthless material that is rejected or thrown out; refuse, trash, garbage, or waste.
Gravois was declared to be the public “Road to Fenton” by order of the County Court in 1832.
In 1839, an act of the State legislature made Gravois a state road and during the 1840’s it was paved with a macadam surface.
Blow Street Originated in Carondelet. Called R Street in 1832 and Randolph Street in 1854 as far west as Virginia Avenue. Between 1852 and 1881, the appellation of Blow Avenue was applied to the section of the street from Virginia to Morganford Road. In the latter year the name was extended to include the full length of the street. The name honors Henry Taylor Blow who organized the Republican Party among Carondelet’s Germans during the 1850s. Blow was a delegate to nominate Lincoln for President in 1860 and was made ambassador to Venezuela. His daughter, Susan, started the first kindergarten in the Des Peres schools in 1873
1854: The City of Carondelet renamed Quincy Street from Q Street in accordance with the City’s policy of giving each letter named street a name beginning with that letter. It recognizes the Riverton of Quincy, Illinois.
1858: January Avenue first appeared, honoring Derrick A. January, and early landowner.
1860: Subdivision of H. Louis Finkman’s Garden Lots.
- Finkman Street first appeared. It was unnamed until 1892. Finkman is listed as a “peddler” and “Huckster” in various city directories of the 1860s.
1867: Möllenhoff Family House
- The 1868 map of the area, the original property was the site of the Friedrich Rudolph Möllenhoff (or Moellenhoff) farm. It ran east-west, facing Gravois Road, which was then a dirt and gravel road. Rudolph Moellenhoff is listed in an 1890 St. Louis City Directory with an address at 6901 Gravois Road, occupation as a gardener.
- Rudolph Möllenhof was born in Hanover, Germany in December 1823. He came to the United States in 1842 at the age of 19 and married Catherine Elise Stackemeyer [most likely Stuckemeyer or Stuckmeyer] on August 11, 1848 in St. Louis. The 1850 census shows Rudolph (26) and Catherine (23) living in Carondolet Township with Diedrich Moellenhoff (60), most likely Rudolph’s father, and Mary Stuckmeyer (18), most likely Catherine’s sister. Rudolph Möllenhoff’s wife, Catherine Elise Stuckmeyer (born about 1833) may have been a sister of his neighbor Rudolph Stuckmeyer. In 1854, Rudolph Stuckmeyer (born about 1833) married Catherine Regina Möllenhoff (born about 1833), who likewise may have been a sister of Rudolph Möllenhoff, who also came from Hannover, Germany. Rudolph Moellenhoff’s first wife Catherine died sometime around 1860. He remarried in 1861 to Elisabeth (Elisa or Elizza) Charlotte Windmüller. In the 1900 census, Rudolph and Elisa Moellenhoff were living at 6901 Gravois with their son Herman, his wife and their three children. Also in the house were three farm laborers and two domestic servants. Rudolph Moellenhoff died at his home on May 26, 1904 at age 80. As housing developments began to creep in from the north, his wife sold the southern portion of his property to developers around 1905.
- The brick 1867 farm house of the Moellenhoff family still stands at 4960 Loughborough. The house is oriented differently than other homes on the block, facing east towards Gravois instead of north,although a northern entrance and porch were later added, probably after 1924 when the address was 4960 Loughborough.
- Rudolph Moellenhoff and Rudolph Stuckmeyer when they died, both were buried in the New Picker Cemetery. New Picker Cemetery is now Gatewood Gardens Cemetery, a cemetery just south of Sunshine at 7212 7135 Gravois.
- Macklind Avenue began as St Louis Avenue.
- 1868 map St Louis of the area South St. Louis City in Princeton Heights. Some of the land was owned by 1860’s land owners Louis Finkman, and Joseph Clark and the Tanners, Mollenhoff and Stuckmeyer Farms.
- Brannon Avenue was platted. Named for John B. Brannon, a city deputy sheriff in the 1850s
- Macklind Avenue was renamed from St. Louis Avenue in honor of Thomas H. Macklind, district engineer of the city street department. Macklind was also known as Korn Street between Wiesehan (Bonita) and Loughborhough streets until 1928.
- Eichelberger Street was renamed from Clark Road in honor of Doctor George F. Eichelberger, a member of the City of Carondelet’s first city council. The street originally appeared in an early platting of the Carondelet Commons.
- Loughborough Avenue was renamed. It Began as P Street in old Carondelet. Renamed Pine Street in 1854 from the river west to Virginia Avenue. From Virginia west to Colorado, it was called Gamashe Street. These names were changed to the current designation by an 1881 St. Louis city ordinance. The title honors James M. Loughborough, real estate man, land owner, politician and editor of the Carondelet New Era in 1859
- Nagel was renamed from S Street. It recognized Herman Nagel, a Carondelet hat merchant.
1891: Robert Avenue was renamed from Robert Street, and Taylor street before that (1854), and T Street before that in the old City of Carondelet. The title commemorated Louis Robert, Member of a pioneer French family in Carondelet.
Around 1900, when this area was mostly farmland. The community was known as Gardenville, acquiring its name in the beginning from the beautiful bounteous garden truck farms in the south area of the City of St. Louis Missouri when Gardenville was the center of the universe and before the world became urbanized. Produce farmers grew their goods here and then trucked them a few miles away to Soulard Market near downtown St. Louis or they hauled their tomatoes, carrots, and melons through the City’s neighborhoods as produce hucksters. But as St. Louis grew, housing took over all the old fruit and vegetable plots.
The first development of the Mollenhoff property was the McDermott and Hayden Hildesheim Subdivision which created Nagel, Blow, and Quincy Streets in 1906. At the same time the north-south oriented Moellenhoff and Brunswick (now January) streets were also created. The Moellenhoff family retained the narrow strip of property along what would eventually become an extension of Loughborough Avenue.
Kingshighway Boulevard. The former Rue de Roi or Kingshighway runs along the western boundary of the Prairie des Noyers Common Field. These early prairies stretched along the length of what is now Kingshighway and became the cultivating farm fields for the town’s inhabitants, the common ground. Rue de Roi became the main stem of the Kingshighway Boulevard system that was adopted by the city in 1903.
Goethe Heights and Hermann Heights Subdivision or Addition
Gardenville Avenue was first named. The Gardenville community was an early rural settlement in the vicinity of Gravois and Kingshighway.
Henry Avenue first appeared. It was named for Frank R. Henry, auditor of the United Railways Transit Company and relative of Rolla Wells, mayor of St. Louis from 1901 to 1909.
Milentz Avenue was platted, first appearing on either side of Gravois in 1905. Milentz is the name of an old south side family of German descent. The year the developments appeared, there were seven Milentz family listings in the St. Louis City Directories.
1906: Austria Heights Subdivision or Addition
Tyrolean Avenue appeared. It was named for the province of Tyrol in the Austrian Alps.
1906: Humbolt Heights Subdivision.
Christy Avenue was first platted. It was Named for William Tandy Christy, who founded the firm which became the Laclede-Christy Fire Brick Company. The brick company is now the old Venture Store and in the rear is the Bevo Community Center, which was the company office. It was called Glenore Avenue until 1932.
Princeton Place Subdivision or Addition
Moellenhoff Street first appeared. It was named for Rudolph Mollenhoff, a primary landowner in the City of Saint Louis in 1856.
Rosa Park and Goethe Heights subdivision or Addition
Rosa Avenue was platted. The name is Latin for “Rose”.
Terrace Avenue was platted. It was a promotional name.
Dahlia Avenue was first platted. It was named for the Dahlia flower. The plant was developed by the 18th-century Swedish Botanist Andres Dahl.
Gardenville School built.
1909 River Des Peres before it was reconstructed in the 1930s. Princeton Heights is to the right side of map.
1909 Hayden’s Subdivision or Addition
Hummel Avenue first appeared. It was probably named for the Hummelsheim family. One of them owned property at Gravois and Tesson Ferry Road and probably held property nearby in the city as well. Later Charles Hummelsheim lived in Afton.
1909 Goethe Heights Subdivision or Addition
Goethe Avenue was first platted. The avenue was christened in honor of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832). He was a German poet, dramatist and novelist.
Sigel avenue was first platted. Sigel Avenue honors Franz Sigel (1824-1902), a Union Army general in the Civil War, who fought in Missouri and at the Battle of Bull Run. He was born in Germany and was an idol of the German population of St. Louis.
Hadley Park Subdivision or Addition
Schollmeyer Avenue first Appeared. It was named in honor of Adolph R. Schollmeyer, who owed a real estate company.
Elmer Avenue first appeared. It was a very popular male name at the end of the 19th Elmer originated in the old English Aethelmaer meaning “noble” or “Famous”.
Around 1910, Loughborough Avenue ran west from Carondolet and ended at Gravois Road. The Moellenhoff farm lay on the other side or the south side of Loughborough. Sometime before 1915, a westward extension of Loughborough from Gravois going west took a jog at Gravois, moving further to the north so that the new street would bypass the Moellenhoff house at 4960 Loughborough. The Mollenhoff Farm House at 6901 Gravois would become 4960 Loughborough.
Windsor Park Private Subdivision or Addition
Windsor parkway was created. Opened in the 1911, it recognizes the Borough of Windsor in Berkshire, England, from which the royal family, the House of Windsor, takes its family name.
1911 River Des Peres before it was reconstructed in the 1930s.
Finkman and Kaiser were the only streets in Princeton Heights West of Kingshighway and North of Gravois.
1913: Hampton Avenue replaced the earlier name for Sulphur Avenue between Bancroft and Loughborough. Hampton recognizes an urban district in Middesex County, England.
Hermann Heights First Addition
Kansas Street first appeared. It was later renamed Rhodes Avenue in 1929 between Gardenville Avenue and Kingshighway. It was renamed in honor of Cecil John Rhodes (1853-1902), British statesman and capitalist who made his fortune in diamond mines in South Africa and founded the Rhodes Scholarship program.
Van Drehle’s Subdivision or Addition
Lisette appeared as a street name. It was named after a French diminutive of Elisabeth.
Arcadia Heights Subdivision or Addition
Bonita first appeared. It is named from the Spanish, feminine of Bonito, or pretty,
Alma Avenue appeared. It is a Latin word meaning nurturing or kind. The name began to be popular after British troops fought at the Battle of Alma, a river in the Crimea, in 1854.
Woodland Subdivision or Addition
Gresham Avenue began as Kaiser Street. It received its present name in 1918 in honor of one of the first soldiers killed in World War I, James B. Gresham. Corp. Gresham was the first American Killed in action on November 3, 1917 at the Battle of Sommerville in France.
Princeton Heights only streets South of Loughborough were Nagel, Blow, Quincy and Brunswieck. Hampton was one block long running South off of Finkman. Loughborough jogs to the east at Gravois going west in order to save the Mollenhoff’s farm house.
Gravois Road became the first concrete highway in Missouri, when six miles were laid from the City limits to Grant’s Farm.
The north side of Loughborough Avenue was becoming developed, but the south side of the street would wait for nearly another decade before being subdivided.
1916 Sanborn Maps (Image 6A – 6J)
1918 map of the area in Saint Louis Missouri in Princeton Heights.
When Holly Hills was Kansas and Christy was a creek bed.
By 1920 most of the farms were gone. We still have our backyard tomato mavens, of course, but we’re pretty urban now. Princeton Heights has come a long way from the old dirt roads of long ago. One can still find remnants of old Gardenville in place names here in The Princeton Heights Neighborhood. The place names are Gardenville Street, Gardenville School, and not far outside Princeton Heights’ official boundaries there’s the Gardenville Masonic Lodge in Affton.
1923: Holly Hills Avenue was renamed from Kansas Street (1854), and K street before that (pre 1854)
In 1924, upon the death of Elisabeth Moellenhoff, the rest of the Moellenhoff property was sold and developed as the Gravois Loughborough Place subdivision.
Just south of Moellenhoff’s property was the Rudolph Stuckmeyer farm at 7039 Gravois. 7037 Gravois is the structure on the left side or south side of the 1916 map of what is now Robert. In 1925, the Stuckmeyer family sold their farm to developers. Robert Street and Sunshine Drive (originally Upton Street) are now situated on the former Stuckmeyer farm. 7037 Gravois became 4947 Robert and was torn down in the mid 1960s and replaced with 4945 and 4949 Robert.
1928 Kingshighway Forest Subdivision or Addition
Kings Drive, Center Court, East Court and West Court Streets, part of St. Paul’s Cemetery, first appeared.
1929 Woodland Private Subdivision or Addition
Woodbine Court began as Woodland Court in a subdivision of the same name. It was renamed in 1929 and is named after a groundcover plant that is also called Virginia Creeper.
In this map River Des Peres has been straighted out by the WPA Project and called a Sewer. The streets for
Princeton Heights appear to have been laid out as they are today, except for Upton, which is now Sunshine.
In 1947, Wilmore Park was created from the old Ellebeck’s Farm.
Joe Garagiola Mom’s House: The 1940/50s MLB catcher’s mother lived at the corner of Macklind and Gresham, according to neighbors.
1963 Map: This map was laid out by the City of Saint Louis when the city first developed the concept of neighborhoods organizations.
1963 Southampton Heights Subdivision or Addition
Hampshire Drive and Parkview Drives first appeared. Hampshire was named for a maritime county in southern England.
Special thanks to Larry Frei, a longtime resident of Princeton Heights, who collected the information presented here over many years.